Senior IAS officer Sumit Mullick was on March 1, 2017 appointed as the Chief Secretary of Maharashtra. He will succeed Swadheen Kshatriya, who was due for retirement on January 31, but was given a month's extension. Mullick, a 1982 batch IAS officer is Additional Chief Secretary (ACS) and currently serving as the Chief Protocol Officer in the General Administration department. Mullick is the senior most bureaucrat in the state after Kshatriya and will retire in April 2018. Mullick (58) is the third Dalit to reach the highest post in the state’s bureaucracy after PG Gavai (1979-82) and JP Dange (2009-11). Mullick was the Additional Chief Secretary of the protocol department - a post that he will continue to hold as full additional charge till further orders. Kshatriya attained a prestigious post retirement posting as Maharashtra’s first Chief Commissioner of the Right to Services, a post he is expected to hold for another five years.
About Sumit Mullick:
- Mullick's first posting was that of an Assistant Collector in Nagpur.
- It was in 1989 when Mullick first bagged a posting in Mumbai as the Additional Collector (Urban Land Ceiling) before being deputed to the Sangli Collector’s post.
- He has also previously served as the Chief Executive Officer of the Maharashtra Industrial Development Corporation (2002), and was later appointed as the Secretary to former Maharashtra Governor Mohammed Fazal (2003).
- As a secretary in Mantralaya, Mullick has handled various portfolios including school education, social justice and special assistance, excise, the general administration.
- Since 2009 he had been handling the post of the state’s Chief Protocol Officer. In 2013 he was elevated to the Additional Chief Secretary rank.
- Besides his administrative prowess, Mullick has a published novel to his credit. His book, Unkindest Cut, which was released in 2013, had ended up creating quite a stir (said to be of the time he was secretary to the Governor) but the novel was fictional.
- The bureaucrat who claims his hobby is writing has a Bachelors of Arts degree in History.
- He has an MBA degree from IIM (Bangalore) and also has a post graduation degree in Economics and Development Studies from the Wales University.